Autoimmune Paleo (AIP) is a fine-tuned version of Paleo, geared to eliminate foods known to irritate the gut and jump start the immune system. AIP can be very beneficial for people who suffer from food allergies and/or food sensitivities.
There are more than 80 different types of autoimmune disorders. Many people with health issues are unaware they actually have an autoimmune disease. Listed below are some of the most common health issues that are autoimmune disorders:
- Addison’s Disease – adrenal hormone insufficiency
- Celiac Sprue – gluten intolerance that damages the lining of the small intestine
- Graves’ Disease – overactive thyroid gland
- Hashimoto’s Disease – inflammation of the thyroid gland
- Rheumatoid Arthritis – inflammation of joints and tissue surrounding them
- Multiple Sclerosis – disease that affects the brain and spinal cord
- Psoriasis – skin condition
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus – immune system attacks healthy tissue which affects skin, joints, kidneys, brain, and other organs
- Type 1 Diabetes – immune system attacks the pancreas resulting in the destruction of cells that produce insulin
- Vitiligo – skin disorder resulting in white patches
Keep in mind, there are more than 80 types of autoimmune disorders; this is only a partial listing. If you suffer from an autoimmune disease, the AIP diet could help alleviate many of your symptoms.